To celebrate National Car Care Month, we are going to provide some basic maintenance tips to keep your car well maintained and avoid costly repairs down the road. Neglected vehicles are always the most costly when it comes to repairs so nip them in the butt before they are a pain in your butt!
Auto owners can save money by being more proactive when it comes to your vehicle. With spring coming, get outside and check on your car with these 10 basic tips:
- Check your oil, filters and fluids levels. This includes brake fluid, transmission fluid, power steering fluid, coolant and windshield washer fluid. Filters include your transmission, fuel system and ventilation system (A/C and Heat).
- Replace hoses and belts when they are brittle, cracked, rusted, frayed, leaking, swollen or restricted. Typically they are replaced every 60,000 to 90,000 miles.
- Have your brakes checked every year including brake linings, rotors, drums or pads.
- Make sure your battery is clean, connections are tight and corrosion free. They should be tested or replaced every 3 years.
- Inspect your exhaust system for leaks, damage or unusual noises. You can usually tell if there is a hole by the noise but small leaks can be dangerous and must be repaired immediately.
- An engine tune up is a good idea to make sure your care is running efficiently. This will make sure your engine is providing the best balance in power, fuel economy and produce the lowest level of emissions.
- Check your car’s heating, ventilating and air conditioning system. Filters should be clean to prevent dust, soot and pollutants from getting in your vehicle. Old and dirty filters can affect the performance of your air conditioning or heat.
- Test your steering and suspension. If your car drifts to the side when trying to drive straight, have it checked out. This includes shocks, struts and ball joints.
- Check your tire pressure including your spare tire. Check for uneven tread wear, cuts or bruises along the side wall. Optimal tire pressure will boost fuel economy.
- Test your interior and exterior lights. Replace burnt out bulbs immediately. If you windshield wipers streak, chatter or are cracked, cut or torn, have them replaced.
If you have any questions for us, please feel free to call @
We hope everyone has a happy April and watch out for those April Fool’s pranks!