Our sense of smell is not as refined as man’s best friend but we can still use it to detect problems with our cars! Everyone loves the “new car” smell but when that smell fades, are are some warning signs we can detect with our nose. These smells can be a warning sign for potential trouble in your vehicle. If you smell any of these around your car, bring it to Bridge St. Tire & Alignment for a check up!
- Burnt Rubber – If you haven’t been drag racing lately, burnt rubber can be a sign of slipping drive belts or a loose hose that is rubbing against rotating engine parts.
- Hot Oil – Smelling hot oil can be a sign that you have a leak. To make sure, look for oil on the pavement under your car or smoke coming from the engine.
- Gasoline – Smelling gasoline can mean a leak in your gas tank, fuel lines or fuel injectors. Because this is a fire hazard, this smell should be treated cautiously and immediately.
- Sweet smell like syrup – If you smell this, it could mean your engine is leaking engine coolant. Be careful to not open the radiator cap when it is hot.
- Burning Carpet – If you smell something like a burning carpet, it could mean your brakes are having trouble. Especially if it happens under normal driving conditions. Brake issues should be checked out immediately.
- Rotten Eggs – Everyone hates this smell! This could be a sign of trouble with your catalytic converter. It may not be converting the hydrogen sulfide in the exhaust to sulfur dioxide properly. You will want to get this checked out right away!
If you smell any strange odors coming for your car, you should not ignore it. Bring your car to Bridge St. Tire & Alignment to get it checked out! Call us today at (781) 340-9500 to make an appointment.